All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Digg: Olympia currently offline. Back online soon  Digg: Olympia currently offline. Back online soon  Digg: Olympia currently offline. Back online soon  Digg: Olympia currently offline. Back online soon Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Re: Olympia currently offline. Back online soon
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:37 pm 

no HBO no life?!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:45 pm 

Les aseguro que esto va a dejar de suceder el 24 de agosto ;)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:28 pm 

AmonAmarth wrote:
This sucks.. but what evidence do we have its nemesis people attacking it? Or is it that people just like to invent bullshit? Beacuse whether you like them or not, building up lame information is pretty retarded.

Of course there's no evidence that it's a "Nemesis person" doing it, but come on. Even if it's not directly someone on the staff, the timing is just too good for the attacks to be completely unrelated to Nemesis relaunching. Either way, I'm just saying people who normally wouldn't go any play it shouldn't change their plans now because of some sad person with malicious intent - keep going as if nothing happened, and the attack becomes meaningless.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:16 pm 

Sorry

Last edited by Kishkashta on Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:22 pm 

Kishkashta wrote:
My thoughts on the so called "ATTACKS"

I have hosted servers in many ISPs server farms for a very cheep and for very long.
One of the basic things you get from a server farm is a basic firewall protecting it.
If a server farm is subject to attacks (hens unprotected), it is only a room with computers and an internet connection, and it wouldn't be called a server farm.
(yes, some large companies choose to add there own protection but that is there own prerogative)

I also run a few private exchange servers for some companies, and as we all know attacking mail servers is at a much higher priority then some unknown Helbreath server.
The exchange servers are attacked constantly by spammers and DDoS attacks, but guess what a checkpoint firewall (400USD) and a yearly subscription (150USD) does the job 100%.

Here is what i think is happening.

As the time for the new Nemesis server is coming close, I'm guessing Cleroth is getting worried he is gonna loos his "paying" customers and is orchestrating the server failures and blaming Nemesis so we all develop HATE for Nemesis, thus insuring players will not leave to the "HATED" devil Nemesis.

I am saying "paying customers" because many things we must pay for on HBO are shop items in Nemesis. (example: sex change potion 4000 gold in shop vs. 25USD on HBO)

In addition orchestrating such a large attack that would take the server down would take a lot of people, and if you tend to believe that so many players are malicious in there behavior, you have sadly been fooled once again.

As a server that has to wait for an Admin to wake up to get the server running (especially when he is being payed for his work), and player are waiting for the server, I would call him not a very good administrator.
When one of my servers are down I get called any time day or night and jump to the challenge, and do not respond that "now is my bed time" so all you customers must wait until I finish my leisure sleep.

I am heavily invested in HBO and find it sad that we are being sold a bunch of ***.

Well that was my thoughts on the server failures lately and would love to have an expert in networking and communication respond to it.

Best wishes to us all.

P.S. Sorry for the long essay.

fucktard

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:28 pm 

Rayquaza wrote:
AmonAmarth wrote:
This sucks.. but what evidence do we have its nemesis people attacking it? Or is it that people just like to invent bullshit? Beacuse whether you like them or not, building up lame information is pretty retarded.

Of course there's no evidence that it's a "Nemesis person" doing it, but come on. Even if it's not directly someone on the staff, the timing is just too good for the attacks to be completely unrelated to Nemesis relaunching. Either way, I'm just saying people who normally wouldn't go any play it shouldn't change their plans now because of some sad person with malicious intent - keep going as if nothing happened, and the attack becomes meaningless.

Have to agree that the timing is too good that can lead to thoughts about Nemesis attacking.
But some people rush at making conclusions and they end up believing things without even questioning if its true or not. Whats worse, they end up convincing the rest about it. Things like this doesn't help at all when trying to solve the problem.
I do agree that people should "ignore" these attacks and keep playing/supporting server as everyday so far.

Hope this can be solved as soon as possible.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:33 pm 

Kishkashta wrote:
As the time for the new Nemesis server is coming close, I'm guessing Cleroth is getting worried he is gonna loos his "paying" customers and is orchestrating the server failures and blaming Nemesis so we all develop HATE for Nemesis, thus insuring players will not leave to the "HATED" devil Nemesis.

I am saying "paying customers" because many things we must pay for on HBO are shop items in Nemesis. (example: sex change potion 4000 gold in shop vs. 25USD on HBO)

In addition orchestrating such a large attack that would take the server down would take a lot of people, and if you tend to believe that so many players are malicious in there behavior, you have sadly been fooled once again.

As a server that has to wait for an Admin to wake up to get the server running (especially when he is being payed for his work), and player are waiting for the server, I would call him not a very good administrator.
When one of my servers are down I get called any time day or night and jump to the challenge, and do not respond that "now is my bed time" so all you customers must wait until I finish my leisure sleep.

I am heavily invested in HBO and find it sad that we are being sold a bunch of ***.

Well that was my thoughts on the server failures lately and would love to have an expert in networking and communication respond to it.

Best wishes to us all.

P.S. Sorry for the long essay.

Taking a "standard" server offline doesn't require lots of people. All it takes is just 1 guy with a huge dosnet, consisting of compromised machines on fast lines. To produce 5gbit-10gbit of packet power, it only takes minutes. I've ran several public/private shell servers in the past and I've seen these sorta attacks too many times.

Cleroth is not paid for his administrative work by the way. If he was, it's a whole different story. Plus, there's no SLA.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:46 pm 
Site Admin

It's kind of funny seeing you accuse me of feeding you bullshit when you're the one just doing that.
I even posted screenshots of my ticket with the hosting company, related to the attacks. If you really think I would go through such lengths to 'fake' a DDoS attack, by faking screenshots, AND faking the lag experienced right before the host company null-routes the server (which is an obvious symptom of a DDoS attack), I don't see the reason for why you would play my server considering you degree of distrust in me.
As stated earlier, bringing the server back online wasn't something that was in my power, whether I am sleeping or not. It has happened quite a few times in the past for me to have woken up in the middle of the night to put the server back up (in the case of crashes), so your argument is moot there.

On another note, I've never blamed Nemesis for attacking. In fact, I highly doubt it's them. Farjat (the owner of HB Nemesis) as even helped me against DDoS attacks in the past. Doing this while it's still in beta is also a rather bad idea. If it really is Nemesis, I doubt Farjat has anything to do with it (it could be someone from his staff, or a player, but I won't accuse anyone). Draw your own conclusions.
Either way, I find this kind of behaviour a pathetic form of competition.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:50 pm 

Cleroth wrote:
It's kind of funny seeing you accuse me of feeding you bullshit when you're the one just doing that.
I even posted screenshotsof my ticket with the hosting company, related to the attacks. If you really think I would go through such lengths to 'fake' a DDoS attack, by faking screenshots, AND faking the lag experienced right before the host company null-routes the server (which is an obvious symptom of a DDoS attack), I don't see the reason for why you would play my server considering you degree of distrust in me.
As stated earlier, bringing the server back online wasn't something that was in my power, whether I am sleeping or not. It has happened quite a few times in the past for me to have woken up in the middle of the night to put the server back up (in the case of crashes), so your argument is moot there.

True story :)

Plus, the IP was indeed null-routed. I do check everytime the server's unreachable. You can't "fake" a null-route unless you're the SL neteng :D Or at least the person who is announcing the netblock :P

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7