All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Digg: Lag/loss fps when additional windows open  Digg: Lag/loss fps when additional windows open  Digg: Lag/loss fps when additional windows open  Digg: Lag/loss fps when additional windows open Go to page 1, 2  Next

Lag/loss fps when additional windows open
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:23 am 

Not sure if this is just me but figured I would post about it in case it is not. The last two days I've logged in I've noticed if I have the character menu screen (f5) open, or any shop menus, my spell menu, and even to a lesser extent sometimes just my bag; I get pretty significant lag/loss of fps.

It may just be me, and if so, my bad. Just wondering if anyone else has similar issues.

Thanks

Re: Lag/loss fps when additional windows open
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:02 am 

No, it's not just you; I've just checked and every window reduces the "perf" by approx. 10-20k here. The more complex the window — the greater the reduction. And by complex I mean the size and the number of elements shown. Character screen has the greatest impact, while bag has the slightest. Mini map seems to have no impact at all.
I've managed to get it down to 200k from 320k by opening almost every possible window there is... f5, guild, party, level settings, character simulator, bag, spells, etc. Thus sort of every window has impact on the performance. Transparency doesn't seem to affect the performance loss. It also doesn't matter whether one stands still or moves.
I personally don't feel it as a significant loss here. Can't interpret those numbers, but as the perf hint suggests — anything above 10k should be fine and a recent post says that HB has been equalized in such a way that perf doesn't matter that much anymore (although I imagine user experience would still differ). I'm also skeptical that it may get any better. Still, a surprising improvement would be great. Good luck.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:23 pm 
Site Admin

This is normal. I've even used this to slow the client deliberately sometimes. Most of the slowing down is caused by the text rendering. The minimap is just a single clipped sprite (or a few more for pits). The effect may be more severe if you're using multiple monitors and specially without the multiple monitor fixed enabled. Windows 8 might also have more of an effect.

apt wrote:
a recent post says that HB has been equalized in such a way that perf doesn't matter that much anymore

This hasn't been done yet. You will notice a huge change when it happens.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:02 am 

I am indeed using multiple monitors on Windows 7 Ultimate. I probably also don't have the Multiple Windows fix enabled anymore as I just reformatted the other day. Thanks for the reply guys

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:58 am 
Site Admin

Check the "Multiple Monitor Fix" box on the Launcher.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:24 pm 

Is the multiple monitor fix option, supposed to fix the flickering of the white screen? I can't seem to prevent that from happening on my win8 desktop with dual monitors. Only way to stop the flickering is to unplug second monitor.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:26 pm 
Site Admin

uncleron wrote:
Is the multiple monitor fix option, supposed to fix the flickering of the white screen? I can't seem to prevent that from happening on my win8 desktop with dual monitors. Only way to stop the flickering is to unplug second monitor.

I've never heard of that happening. I'm not really sure what you're talking about. The entire screen goes white for a split second? How often does it happen? Windowed or full-screen? Does it also happen on the live server (non-beta)?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:04 pm 

Cleroth wrote:
uncleron wrote:

I've never heard of that happening. I'm not really sure what you're talking about. The entire screen goes white for a split second? How often does it happen? Windowed or full-screen? Does it also happen on the live server (non-beta)?

Yes, the entire screen goes white for a split second, sometimes very rapidly, but I have been not able to determine a pattern. It occurs with full screen, dual monitors, I have not confirmed that it exists on non-beta.

I also had this issue on the same machine while playing Nem3 (they had a similar windows 8 fix, but didn't have a dual monitor fix)

Sometimes it'll flicker maybe 20x... go 5 mins without, then flicker 4x, go 2 mins without. Can't find a pattern of what mouse clicks or processing causes it.

Maybe I could record a video of it happening? Not sure if you'd be able to experience what i'm seeing thru a teamviewer session, but we could try that. Any screen recording software you'd recommend?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:07 pm 
Site Admin

Those could be things like Skype popups going in front of the screen causing the game to stop drawing for a split second. Try putting yourself on Busy on Skype to stop the popups, or whatever else 'pops up' on your screen.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:18 pm 

I don't use Skype because I don't want popups and Malware.

To my knowlegde, none of the services I have running take priority of the screen like a popup.

Also, I've played other MMORGP that require more cpu/ram/gpu and do not expierence this when the game is running fullscreen