All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Digg: blizzard towards the edge of the screen  Digg: blizzard towards the edge of the screen  Digg: blizzard towards the edge of the screen  Digg: blizzard towards the edge of the screen Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Re: blizzard towards the edge of the screen
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:03 am 
Site Admin

I don't know. I didn't say I was going to do it, I just said if it did become a problem that could be one of the solutions, or something along those lines. I personally think that having any sort of handicap at longer range is even weirder than having a cast range limit. Do you risk aiming further away at the cost of missing, or aim directly on top of the target? That's something that players would have to keep in mind at all times if this were to be implemented.
I don't think the range increase is such a big of a deal for 800x600. While mages get a bigger advantage for more range, this advantage is diminished due to the fact that Warriors also get a small advantage from bow range.
I personally think that the raw damage of Blizz vs no MA/MR warriors is a bigger issue than this.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:26 pm 

Aiming has also become a bit harder with the new resolution due to the smaller tiles/targets.
Decision making costs extra time. Time makes the calculations hard. If one ignores flying, then by the time a mage casts a spell — a warrior may land 4 hits/crits. In that case the damage output is somewhat equal.

I think a spell that requires that many intelligence points has to deal that much damage, because mages have to position well in order to be able to cast in the first place. Those 4 hits line spells require great distance and as it is now — one of the major challenges of the mage class is to gain that distance. Given how hard it is to actually land 4 hits and how often that happens, the raw damage is just about right imo.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:04 pm 
Site Admin

For 4 hits, sure. But come on, it's super easy to land 3 hits. A 5-year-old can do it.
I mean, there's a reason why mages are always the first to get Hero... They'll usually just spam Blizz on noobs repeatedly. Blizz slows them and deals crazy damage. Nothing else to cast. How does that require 'much intelligence'?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:03 pm 
I think he refers to INT as in stats.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:36 pm 

Yea and others will shout at them — stop that blizz spam!
There's no doubt that's the way it is; I'll just add that mages are getting most eks during events spamming those spells along others.
Under different circumstances however often the MP does not suffice or mages are facing the choice whether to cooperate (buff townmates) or go for the kill. Before it gets too philosophical — there has to be a way to provoke player's greed.
Warriors face the choice whether to waste criticals; mages face the choice whether to waste MP on costly spells, which might be even dodged easily. The reason I'm typing all that — HB players have to solve optimization problems. By trying to make the game harder, you may very well end up doing it easier (by reducing the choices players have to make).
Fact is, spammers don't get too far; unless it's TheSpamenace ofc ;p So please, don't temper with ESW anymore.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:36 am 

apt wrote:
Yea and others will shout at them — stop that blizz spam!
There's no doubt that's the way it is; I'll just add that mages are getting most eks during events spamming those spells along others.
Under different circumstances however often the MP does not suffice or mages are facing the choice whether to cooperate (buff townmates) or go for the kill. Before it gets too philosophical — there has to be a way to provoke player's greed.
Warriors face the choice whether to waste criticals; mages face the choice whether to waste MP on costly spells, which might be even dodged easily. The reason I'm typing all that — HB players have to solve optimization problems. By trying to make the game harder, you may very well end up doing it easier (by reducing the choices players have to make).
Fact is, spammers don't get too far; unless it's TheSpamenace ofc ;p So please, don't temper with ESW anymore.

Bold text, oh my goodness. That is a very good point to keep in mind with ANY changes.

I can't help but giggle when reading how OP blizzard is as a concept but still never see anyone mention how underpowered other spells are.

Cleroth, your players need you, you'r experience and skills exceeds completely our comprehension

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:47 pm 
Site Admin

Because for any other spell to be viable Blizzard has to be nerfed? What are you gonna do, buff Meteor Strike to have 30% more damage than Blizzard? Blizzard has the damage AND the utility. Even FoT with a slightly higher damage than Blizzard simply isn't much of a choice during PvP because the utility of the Blizzard frozen effect outweighs the small damage gain.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:25 pm 

One may either initiate or end a sequence with Blizzard, but once the target is frozen — another freeze doesn't reset the timer; I don't how much more explicit that might be. It is a hint enough that blizz spam leads nowhere, let aside the fact how hard is it to land 2+ line spells in a row even on a frozen target.

There was a time, when I was instructed to leave players play the way they want; now you consider modifying the game mainly because of the way they play. Let me at least point out, how to do it — instead of nerfing the spell just deny blizz hotkeys f2,3 and 4!

I'm all about leaving the spell as it used to be, simply because it's the MOST useful spell during hunts and just a few months ago discussions were about nerfing vortexed sets, which render blizz somewhat useless.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:05 pm 

Cleroth wrote:
Because for any other spell to be viable Blizzard has to be nerfed? What are you gonna do, buff Meteor Strike to have 30% more damage than Blizzard? Blizzard has the damage AND the utility. Even FoT with a slightly higher damage than Blizzard simply isn't much of a choice during PvP because the utility of the Blizzard frozen effect outweighs the small damage gain.

See you have to play the game to know :P

Most cast Blizzard to get the frozen affect, but after that, most smart mages cast FoT for the mana save and the damage.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:53 pm 
Site Admin

Yup, but that still makes Blizzard the best spell to cast every 7 seconds in most situations.