All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Digg: Helbreath Olympia by Mongi/Heathen  Digg: Helbreath Olympia by Mongi/Heathen  Digg: Helbreath Olympia by Mongi/Heathen  Digg: Helbreath Olympia by Mongi/Heathen Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Re: Helbreath Olympia by Mongi/Heathen
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:41 am 

Cleroth wrote:
The CPU is your weakest component. It doesn't help that Helbreath runs practically full on CPU, and Bandicam's recording is also very CPU-heavy. There are some recording programs that use the GPU for encoding, but I'm not sure if Bandicam supports it, and I think they're mostly for Nvidia. Be sure to check your Bandicam video encoding codecs though. And what did you use to record WarZ?

Also, by FPS drops do you mean actual visible drops? What's your Perf at?
Using a separate drive can help, but so long as you're not using much on the current drive it shouldn't affect it much (HB only uses it very sparingly).

Could you tell me more about how Helbreath utilizes the cores of a CPU when it comes to ingame fps performance?

I am currently debating whether to buy i7 4790k 4ghz (quad core) vs AMD FX 9590 4.7 ghz (8 core) for my new HB pc.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:25 pm 

SlowHit wrote:
Cleroth wrote:
The CPU is your weakest component. It doesn't help that Helbreath runs practically full on CPU, and Bandicam's recording is also very CPU-heavy. There are some recording programs that use the GPU for encoding, but I'm not sure if Bandicam supports it, and I think they're mostly for Nvidia. Be sure to check your Bandicam video encoding codecs though. And what did you use to record WarZ?

Using a separate drive can help, but so long as you're not using much on the current drive it shouldn't affect it much (HB only uses it very sparingly).

Could you tell me more about how Helbreath utilizes the cores of a CPU when it comes to ingame fps performance?

I am currently debating whether to buy i7 4790k 4ghz (quad core) vs AMD FX 9590 4.7 ghz (8 core) for my new HB pc.

Id also like to know that, since im planning on upgrading my PC too. I want to play HB while i record without any significant performance loss.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:08 am 
Site Admin

SlowHit wrote:
Cleroth wrote:

CPUs are extremely complex things. It's not a simple GHz times number of cores calculation. The only thing I can tell you is that Helbreath runs on a single core, so having many cores won't help at all, unless you're running stuff in the background that could slow down the core HB is running on.

Also note that the i7 4790k has 8 logical cores, so functions similar (if not better) to the FX 9590, which also correlates with benchmarks, according to PassMark scores:
Multi-core performance:
i7 4790k: 11,290
FX 9590: 10,929
Single core:
i7 4790k: 2,532
FX 9590: 1,725

You could also look here. The most important thing to notice (besides the i7 having more performance) is that the FX can consume 2.5x more power. That means in the long run it ends up being more expensive.
In either case... these are both pretty overkill for Helbreath. The i3-4370 would probably run HB at the same speed with half the price, albeit function poorly at multi-threading / multi-tasking.

breakM wrote:
SlowHit wrote:
Cleroth wrote:

Id also like to know that, since im planning on upgrading my PC too. I want to play HB while i record without any significant performance loss.

Any recent medium-range CPU should do the trick. If you're really worried about it make sure you also get a GPU that can do the encoding while you're recording.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:52 pm 

Cleroth wrote:
Any recent medium-range CPU should do the trick. If you're really worried about it make sure you also get a GPU that can do the encoding while you're recording.

Im thinking about upgrading to something like this (new components in Bold):

AMD Fx 8320 3.5 ghz
Asus M5a97 Evo R2.0 (it supports CrossfireX and im planning on buying another 6870 in the future)
2x 4 GB DDR3 Kingston HyperX
ATI HD 6870 1GB DDR5
WD Caviar Black 1 TB 7200RPM SATA3 6GB/s
PSU Kanji 800w (i heard it sucks so im probaby going to get rid of it)

What you think? Keep in mind that Helbreath isnt the only game i play, i also play games such as 7 Days To Die, State Of Decay, The Long Dark; and im planning on playing H1Z1 which i think its the more demanding.

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:59 pm 

AMD has not matched Intel's i series performance in a very long time.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:07 pm 

Sonenclar wrote:
AMD has not matched Intel's i series performance in a very long time.

While i can afford getting an Intel rig, i dont really want to, PC components are ridiculously expensive in Argentina and i dont feel like spending 1,5k to upgrade my PC. Thats why im going for AMD. AMD might not be as good as Intel, but its much cheaper and worth the money in my opinion.

I dont want a top of the line PC, from 1 to 10 lets say i want an 8.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:05 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:00 pm 

When it comes to budget configurations, Asrock mobo's are both cheap and reliable. Don't know about AMD's chipsets, but Intel's Z chipsets are better than the Q ones and B's aren't something anybody would want at home.

When it comes to CPU performance, one should invest for an instance in Intel i5 K series with a proper cooler instead of i7 and overclock the i5, even though the grand total in cash spent would be the same.

Nvidia graphic cards are preferable over ATI mainly because of software support. ATI's may last longer, which isn't that much of an advantage given how rapidly requirements change.

You may think the PSU doesn't matter much, but it does — especially in case the CPU is going to be overclocked. Seasonic are one of the best on the market. Corsair are good too, even though they do not actually produce anything but simply re-brand (which implies higher cost). When it comes to power — even 300W would suffice in the absence of multiple hard drives, optical drives and only a single mid-range graphics card in place.

7200 rpm HDD will never get even close to the performance of virtually any SSD out there. Instead of going for "fast" and rather big (1 TB) hard drive, you better go for 128 gb SSD (Samsung for best performance or Intel for best reliability) and add any HDD for additional storage at some point.

The case is somewhat important too, but one may achieve proper air flow with almost any old box, some know-how and a pair of pliers.

Finally the main memory has to be sync'ed with the CPU, so the main board has to be picked accordingly. Latency isn't that good of a measure; brands do not matter much either. Just remember to reduce your Windows page file size, because it reflects the amount of RAM per default.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:34 pm 
Site Admin

breakM wrote:
Cleroth wrote:

Im thinking about upgrading to something like this (new components in Bold):

AMD Fx 8320 3.5 ghz
Asus M5a97 Evo R2.0 (it supports CrossfireX and im planning on buying another 6870 in the future)
2x 4 GB DDR3 Kingston HyperX
ATI HD 6870 1GB DDR5
WD Caviar Black 1 TB 7200RPM SATA3 6GB/s
PSU Kanji 800w (i heard it sucks so im probaby going to get rid of it)

What you think? Keep in mind that Helbreath isnt the only game i play, i also play games such as 7 Days To Die, State Of Decay, The Long Dark; and im planning on playing H1Z1 which i think its the more demanding.

Thanks in advance.

I wouldn't really recommend a Caviar Black for playing games. The only thing games do in relation to hard drives is first loading the game. Your games may just load slightly faster, that's all. SDDs on the other hand... While small, they offer a huge speed increase. You'll be able to fit at least some games in it (maybe all depending on which SSD you get and how many games you have) and they'll be much faster than the Caviar Black. Not to mention every application you'll have will be faster too. If you want a HDD for storage, just get the Caviar Green. It's quieter and uses less power.
CPU looks fine. If your PSU has enough power for your components, and it's not doing any noise, who cares.
Kinda strange that an higher-end GPU such as the 6870 doesn't have GPU video encoding. I'm sure there must be at least some other recording programs that are able to use that graphics card to encode. I reckon the CPU upgrade should be enough to enable you to record with no problem though.

As for elminster's hardware-accelerated Helbreath, it's a lot of work for not really that much gain. The game already runs pretty fast. The problem is more to do with how Helbreath handles units, animations and player commands.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:39 pm 

Thanks for the feedback guys.

About the PSU, thats the problem. Im not sure it can handle it. Ive been told that this Kanji 800w is pretty version of a generic PSU. I mean, it cost $80. And the watts are, ofcourse, not real. If it really is that crappy, then i dont want to spend a lot of money and keep that PSU, sounds risky.

SDD, yeah, i considered it, i want one at some point but it means bigger budget though. I want to change the HDD cause the one im using now is terrible, it always has, really loud and kinda slow. And games such as 7 Days to Die have a lot of map rendering and that rendering is done in the HDD. But yeah, buying a cheaper drive such as the Green or Blue caviar and a SDD sounds good.

Are SDD really that good? Do they affect games performance that much?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next